Branch Openings: 1921 to 1925
The Bank recorded each of the official openings of its permanent branches with a series of photographs.
This series normally included views of the branch's exterior and interior; a copy of the commemoration tablet affixed to an interior
wall of the branch; a record of the dignitaries who attended the opening ceremony; and photographs of the assembled crowd. Selections
of photographs from these events are included in individual branch entries - this page portrays other aspects from opening
ceremonies in the years 1921 to 1925.
July 25th 1921:
The first permanent branch to be opened.
Eldred Hallas (a member of the Bank's Committee of Management from
1920 to 1926) speaking inside the branch
Balsall Heath -
September 4th 1922:
Eldred Hallas performing the door-opening ceremony watched by the Bank's General Manager (J P Hilton)
on the left of the photograph, and two fashionably dressed young ladies on the right
Rotton Park -
June 16th 1923:
On this occasion, the door-opening ceremony is being performed by The Right Honourable, Neville Chamberlain,
MP - at that time holding a position in the government as Minister of Health
October 29th 1923:
Unusually, for this official photograph of the dignitaries attending the ceremony, they are recorded
away from the branch.
March 7th 1925:
Large crowds often attended the opening ceremonies, requiring a police presence. This event has a number of
officers to control the
spectators, but one small girl seems determined to see what is happening
May 16th 1925:
The Lord Mayor (Alderman [later Sir] Percival Bower) performs the opening ceremony. Percival Bower had a long
association with the Bank, as Lord Mayor (1925 & 1926); as a member of the Committe of Management for 16 years; and as the Bank's
Chairman from 1926 to 1932. He is flanked (on his left) by the General Manager
(J P Hilton) and (on his right) the Assistant
Manager (Frank Ellison)